Shootout:- Usual disclaimer, I hate the shootout, blah blah.
- Fehr, off the bar. Advantage, Washington.
- Eller, very sweet backhand to forehand foolery. Ties it up.
- Did someone switch Budaj with Price? Ovichkin, 2-1.
- Deshairnas! He's good at this. 2-2!
- Budaj on Backstrom makes the save, Habs can win this with Galchenyuk.
- Nopes. Shootout overtime.
- Grabovski. It had to be Grabovski.
- Therrien goes with Plekanec, who's terrible at this, and predictably, his try is disastrous. Game, set, match.
- We'll keep playing this record, but how much time is Subban gonna get in the OT?
- If Grabvoski scores I'm gonna jump the bridge.
-Subban to wide open Markov, who got a little too cute with Holtby.
3rd Period:- Habs continue to be excellent on the PK, seemingly since the return of Prist from his injury.
- Ovechkin can be an enigma - so many nights he totally dominates the game, some nights he's just another NHL forward. Tonight it's a lot of the later.
- My goodness, the warp speed passing by Habs on their PP. I'm literally dizzy. Markov brilliantly set up by Desharnais, Holtby has to make three saves.
- Budaj the back end of the best one-two netminding duo in the game (delusional Leafs fans be dammed). Budaj sans the 2nd period stick handling brain cramp has been pretty much flawless.
- Subban has had Ovechkin's number all night. Ovechkin now trying to sucker the officials into calling a penalty. Not working.
- Bournival soft on his check, Emelin slow to react and nemesis Grabovski ties the game with 6 minutes left. Budaj would tell you'd he'd like that one back.
- Very good teams find ways of winning these games. Let's see how Habs respond.
- Caps smell blood. Intense pressure here.
- Budaj is gonna have to rob a couple of Caps if the Habs hope to hold on to the point.
- Ovechkin, at the slightest contact, goes down. Always looking for the penalty call. Ridiculously transparent.
- Overtime it is. Habs really should have won that in regulation.
- Plekanec scoring a minute after Budaj with a brutal giveaway behind his net, giving the Caps a gift first goal of the game.
- Max Pacioretty showing some rare physicality with a huge hit on Latta. Impressed!!
- Desharnais drives the net, nearly tips one past (hits the post). The formula ain't really that hard - drive the net and you'll be rewarded.
- Habs powerplay. When Subban swings and misses with the one-timer, everyone feels the breeze.
- Bournival seemingly slipping further into Therrien's doghouse, only two shifts this period, on track to play less than 8 minutes tonight.
- Bournival gets a shift, nearly beats Holtby with a snapper. He's out there gaining chances on most shifts, but for whatever reason, is on a very short leash.
- No way this Caps team, as I've seen them play tonight, make the playoffs.
- Even though shot margin favored Washington, Habs with lion's share of zone pressure, Caps had sporadic bursts, but no real sustained puck control. Really should be at least a two goal margin in favor of Habs, but if the game continues as is, they really ought salt this away in the 3rd.
Friday News 'n' Notes:
HAPPY FRIDAY. OH GLORIOUS FRIDAY WHY CAN'T IT BE FRIDAY EVERYDAY?
Okay, a couple of notes:
- Peter Budaj will start tonight. We reported that a couple of days ago.
- Deck chairs shifted again, Doug Murray will sit, Frankie Bouillon will start. Tomorrow night they'll probably switch again.
- HABS GAME BLOG MOVEMBER TRAFFIC: Almost 39,000 visits!! Thank each and everyone who comes out to look at this little blog. Knowing that more than a few people are reading is great motivation.